Hangars No. Five and
The following text was taken, with permission, from James R. Shock's book, American Airship Bases & Facilities
Lakehurst was primarily a training center and no organized patrol squadrons existed until ZP-12 was established on 2 January 1942 with LCDR Raymond Tyler commanding. On this same date, Headquarters, Fleet Airship Patrol Group One was also formed with CDR George H. Mills commanding. Hangars No. Five and Six are the World War II design and were authorized 3 July 1942. Construction on Hangar No. Five was completed 1 July 1943, and Hangar No. Six completed on 15 August 1943. The two identical side-by-side hangars are located on the opposite side of the field (southwest) from Hangar No. One.
Hangars No. Five and Six were erected by joint general contractors Karno-Smith Company of Trenton, New Jersey, and Duffy Construction Company of New York City. The Phoenix Bridge Co. erected the arches. The track-mounted triangular travelers used to erect the arches had been used previously in the construction of the George Washington Bridge over the Hudson River at New York City. Truss members were pre-cut on the west coast by Timber Structures, Inc., shipped in specially heated railroad cars and fire-proofed in transit. Protexol Company was the fireproofer.
There were only a few problems during the hangers' construction; namely finding sufficient labor because industries in the New York City and Philadelphia areas had absorbed manpower. This necessitated recruiting labor in other areas. The airship training that was in progress at Lakehurst during the time also complicated the construction work.
[ Home ]
[ About NLHS ] [ Membership ]
[ NLHS Officers ] [ Newsletter
] [ Tours ]